Monday, June 13, 2011

Leaving on a jet plane...in 10 days!

I leave for Iceland a week from Wednesday with a 9PM flight out of Boston arriving at Keflavik International Airport at 6AM Thursday morning. This is 40 miles from Reykjavik (world's northernmost capital) and I will meet with the Extreme Iceland folks (they helped me set up my trip) at the airport. Their geologist will give me a ride to their headquarters in downtown Reykjavik to get my rental car, maps, planner and tickets and spend the day exploring downtown ending with a 5K road race to finish the day off (Midnight Run - http://www.marathon.is/midnight-run).
Laugardalur Swimming Pool

The next morning, I begin my 10 day journey on the Ring of Fire road around Iceland with a SCUBA dive along an underwater fissure in the Silfra ravine (http://www.extremeiceland.is/en/activity-tours-iceland/diving-iceland/deep-into-the-blue).  The water temps are so cold that we are required to dive in a drysuit.
Divers of Silfra Ravine

No comments:

Post a Comment